Here's what you need to know about Minecraft Caves and Cliffs, and its release dates as two separate Minecraft updates.
LATEST - Caves and Cliffs Update Split Into Two, Release Dates Revealed
Minecraft 1.17 may not encompass Caves and Cliffs anymore, as the massive update will now be split into two updates instead!
As revealed in an announcement from Mojang on Wednesday, April 14th, the first part of Minecraft Caves and Cliffs will go live in the Summer, while the second part will go live around the holiday season.
Caves and Cliffs Beta
The Minecraft 1.17 Caves and Cliffs Beta has given players the chance to test out features from the upcoming update, and along with Snapshots, helps players along with the long wait.
Those wondering how you get access, don't worry, we've got you covered.
Caves & Cliffs Update
Minecraft Live finally gave us confirmation of just what is coming in the next update!
In line with the leak ahead of time, we are getting a Caves & Cliffs Update!
Update 1.17 release date
There is no exact release date currently set for Minecraft Caves and Cliffs - though we do have a release date window for each of its 2 parts. Minecraft Caves and Cliffs part 1 will arrive in the Summer, while part 2 will arrive around the holiday season.
Given how long it was between the announcement of the Nether Update and it's release, Minecraft players were ready to wait a while for the next big update to the game, and we finally have a release date window for when content arrives.
Don't Miss Out: Get your Minecoins right here for all platforms at Amazon
Caves & Cliffs Update content
Minecraft is about to get a whole lot more beautiful, with more diverse and creative content planned for both caves and mountains.
Variation in caves is the name of the game. There will still be a classic feel, but there should be something for everyone with the Caves & Cliffs Update.
There are plenty of new mobs coming too. The terrifying Warden is coming to the deepest, darkest caves.
A new form of mining will arrive with the Caves & Cliffs Update that sees players carefully excavate rare and fragile artefacts by brushing away debris rather than whacking things with a pickaxe.
Search for the new copper ore or gorgeous Amethyst crystal geodes that can be mined for new crafting materials. With the Caves & Cliffs Update, there are going to be a ton of new blocks and crafting recipes including sculk sensors to detect movement, telescopes, lightning rods, leaf platforms, and a whole lot more.
A new biome! Lush Caves promise to be full of life, bringing some colour and interest to the caves, along with the danger of tunnelling!
There is a new tree, Azalea, which indicates where a Lush Cave is while on the surface.
Spore blossoms are a new block, a roof-hanging flower that gives off particles, similar to those in the new Nether.
This is where you'll find the cute axolotls in water pools too.
The new sculk block will sense movement and send out a Redstone signal. Kind of like a motion sensor.
This new feature will be amazing in the hands of expert Redstone engineers as it plays like wireless Redstone!
This new mob lurks in the deep dark of new caves. Adapted to the darkness, it can sense movement and has fine-tuned hearing, so be careful!
Growing from an unobtainable block, these crystals are not only very pretty, but they are useful too! Key in a new recipe, you'll have to find them and then build around them.
From the crystals you get shards that can be used to craft a telescope!!
To build it you'll need copper! That's right a new ore is finally coming to Minecraft. Copper blocks will turn green with age too, just like real life. This adds a sense of time to your world.
Limited inventory has always been a problem for Minecraft, and as more blocks get added players have been struggling with carrying items.
The Bundle will fix that. You can put multiple types of things into one Bundle, and full stacks of items too. That means you can carry just one Bundle and hold 64 cobblestone, 64 iron ingots, and some flowers in just one inventory slot!
Read More - How to make a saddle in Minecraft
You've come across broken Nether portals, but now there are old archaeology dig sites!
With a hut and brushes, you can move aside parts of blocks to find hidden artefacts from the past.
Mojang account migration to Microsoft
Mojang is bringing Java Edition Minecraft players under the same umbrella as everyone else by forcing account migration to Microsoft.
This will add a few extra security features, especially for parents, but is mandatory and those reluctant to change will have to if they want to keep playing Minecraft!
READ MORE: Minecraft - How to carve a pumpkin
21W14A Snapshot Update
Another smaller update has been released for Minecraft ahead of the Caves and Cliffs expansion that's due later this year.
This drip-feed method of updating the game has proven popular with players as it helps to keep the game fresh in lieu of a full update.
Below, we have everything you need to know about the update.
- Added Raw Copper, Raw Iron, and Raw Gold items
- Tuff blobs can now be found between heights 0 and 16
Smeltable Ore Drops
- Ores that are smeltable now drop raw item forms of the ore instead of the ore block and these can be smelted just like before
- This is to prevent cluttering the inventory and have consistency with Fortune on all ores
- Ore blocks from old worlds and silk-touched ore blocks will continue to be smeltable
General Changes From 21W14A
- Fully oxidized Copper can now be waxed
- MC-203854 – Fishing rod texture always looks like it has been cast when in the player’s hand
- MC-207173 – Entering only colons into multiplayer Direct Connection & pressing enter crashes the game
- MC-210155 – Command block output no longer is displayed immediately after running a command
- MC-213665 – Crash upon attempting to generate a world with a height of 0 blocks
- MC-214287 – Crash upon entering a nether portal when logical_height is set to 0 and min_y is set to 80 or greater
- MC-215120 – World-gen data packs can cause crashes when first generating the world
- MC-216697 – Having ‘min_y’ set to lower than -64 causes either a crash or the world not to behave correctly if the height limit wasn’t modified
- MC-217702 – Game crashes (ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException) during world feature placement / decoration
- MC-219849 – Fishing doesn’t animate or render the rod, line or bobber anymore
- MC-220652 – IndexOutOfBound exception hard crash when loading a simple custom dimension data pack
- MC-221553 – The end dimension generates differently than it did previously
- MC-221586 – Excessive pillager spawning in pillager outposts
- MC-221673 – Ocean monuments are completely empty