It may have taken months, but the Nether update has finally arrived on Minecraft.
Let's go over all the big things coming in this content update that will add tons of depth to the Nether!
Update 1.16.0 Java Edition Patch Notes
The Minecraft update has arrived on Java Edition.
With it are extensive (and we mean EXTENSIVE) notes from u/sliced_lime on Reddit.
We won't list them all here, but these are the key notes to go along with some 500+ bug fixes the team has done to the update.
- Added Basalt Deltas biome to the Nether
- Added Crimson Forest biome to the Nether
- Added Hoglins
- Added Netherite
- Added Piglins
- Added ruined portals
- Added Soulsand Valley biome to the Nether
- Added Striders
- Added Warped Forest biome to the Nether
- Added Zoglins
- Added a new disableChat command line option – when used, receiving and sending online chat is disabled
- Added a new disableMultiplayer command line option – when used, the Multiplayer button is disabled
- Added bastion remnants
- Added new Game Mode Switcher debug menu
- Added new Nether blocks
- Added the Soul Speed enchantment
- Added the lodestone
- Added the respawn anchor that allows you to set your respawn point in the Nether. Use while holding glowstone to charge to a maximum of four charges – each respawn use one charge
- You can charge the respawn anchor using a dispenser
- Added the target block
- Basalt is formed when lava flows over soul soil next to blue ice
- Bell blocks will now ring when hit by any projectile
- Bells can now be hung from the underside of more blocks
- Compasses can now be enchanted with Curse of Vanishing
- Endermen can now pick up some of the new Nether blocks
- Endermen will no longer pick up Netherrack
- Entities now get pushed by flowing lava
- Farmer Villagers can now compost seeds
- Fish now despawn when further than 64 blocks away from the closest player
- Huge fungi will now only grow on its matching type of nylium
- Knockback resistance is now a scale instead of a probability
- Lily pads are now considered junk fishing loot rather than treasure
- Patrols no longer spawn when the player is close to a village
- TNT and campfires will now ignite when hit by any burning projectile
- The General statistics list is now alphabetically sorted
- Updated logos for Mojang Studios and Minecraft
- Villagers can now spawn iron golems regardless of their profession status or latest working time
- Walls do not have gaps anymore when stacked vertically
- Walls will now connect to even more things, such as iron bars, panes, pressure plates, banners, and even pickles
- When a Villager is struck by lightning, the witch it is converted to will no longer despawn
- When fishing, treasure loot can now only be obtained by fishing in open waters
Bedrock patch notes
The Bedrock patch notes have arrived!
As you would expect they are very similar to the Java Edition notes, but also include a lot of parity changes to bring the two editions together even more.
The update brings a huge amount of content to the Nether.
This dimension has previously been widely ignored by players unless they wanted to venture to The End, but now there is a lot to do!
We all know about zombie pigmen, but the Nether mob world is expanding!
NEW FRIENDS: And new enemies if you get on the wrong side of them
Piglins will be the most common of the new mobs. They are more hostile than zombie pigmen and will attack you, but you can deter their wrath by wearing gold armour.
Hoglins are huge beasts and immediately hostile towards you. However, they can be very useful. Hoglins are essentially the only food source in the Nether, dropping pork when killed. They can be found in the crimson forest biome, and can even be turned friendly and used as livestock for a sustainable food source in the nether, something that was impossible before now. As long as you feed Hoglins warped fungi under the right conditions, you'll be able to breed them to grow your numbers.
READ MORE: Minecraft: Best PC seeds 2020
If you want to keep them at arm’s length or make them a little more docile, you’ll need some of the new items available in the updated Nether biomes…
There are two new forests entering the Nether. The Warped Forests are the safest part of the Nether as Hoglins flee from Warped Fungi. Crimson Forests attract Hoglins though, so be ready for a fight if you stumble into them.
Welcome to your new best friend.
The main reason to go exploring in the new Nether is Netherite. This high-level metal is even stronger than diamond but is a bit complicated to get.
SUIT UP: A Netherite suit is nearly indestructible
First, you’ll need to find ancient debris. Like diamond these spawn in the lower levels of the Nether. We’re talking Y11-16. They are very rare though.
Once you get them, you’ll have to smelt them to make Netherite Scraps. Four of those, plus four gold ingots, will make just ONE Netherite ingot… ouch.
Thankfully, Netherite tools and armour are superior and more durable than their diamond counterparts.
The Nether update is introducing a ton of new blocks that can be used in a million different ways.
- Target blocks: hit with an arrow to send out a redstone signal.
- Crimson Stems and Warped Stems: wood-like materials.
- Basalt blocks: similar to pillars and can be placed in any direction.
- Crimson Nylium and Warped Nylium: ground surface blocks. Nylium can be spread by using bone meal on Netherrack.
- Nether Sprouts, Crimson Roots and Warped Roots: vegetation blocks.
- Crimson Fungi and Warped Fungi: can be grown using bone meal.
- Weeping Vines: vines grow from the bottom of the block.
- Shroomlights: a source of natural light.
- Soul Soil: when fire touches this soil the flames turn blue.
- Warped Warts: decorative blocks.
READ MORE: Minecraft: Best seeds in Bedrock Edition
You can use these blocks to refresh your base, or create a whole new Nether fortress for yourself.
Nether Update Live!
After a long wait all of these changes are now live in Minecraft! That means it's time to explore all the amazing depth that's been added to the nether.
With all of the bug fixes and new features, we've got plenty to sink our teeth into even if there's another long wait for the next content update.
READ MORE: Minecraft PS5: Ray tracing & more