Minecraft 2020 Nether Update LIVE: 1.16.0 Release date confirmed, Java Edition, Bedrock Edition, Netherite, Hoglins, Piglins, blocks, news, & more
New biomes, mobs, ores, tools, and blocks are on the way for Minecraft fans on either version.
Minecraft is still the go-to game for millions. That number will only increase with the introduction of the Nether update!
Keep reading for the details.
Nether update 1.16.0 release date
The date has finally been set.
The Nether update will arrive on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Windows 10, & everything else on 23 June!
Live for Java & Bedrock Edition
Per an official post on the subreddit, the Nether update is now live for Java Edition and Bedrock Edition players.
You can see some of the extensive patch notes here.
Minecraft 2020 Nether Update
Coming this year are considerable changes to the Nether thanks to update 1.16.0.
The dimension is usually avoided by casual players, with its only use really being to grab blaze rods and wither skulls while causing mild panic and the odd rage-inducing fall into a lake of lava.
The next update for Minecraft is going to change all that though.
New biomes, mobs, ores, tools, and blocks are coming to the Nether, making it the kind of place you’ll want to explore rather than avoid.
There are two new forests entering the Nether.
The Warped Forests are the safest part of the Nether as Hoglins flee from Warped Fungi. Crimson Forests attract Hoglins though, so be ready for a fight if you stumble into them.
The third new biome is the Soulsand Valley. Here you will find a lot of skeletons and fossilised remains.
Netherite ore & tools
The main reason to go exploring in the new Nether is Netherite. This high-level ore is even stronger than diamond but is a bit complicated to create.
First, you’ll need to find ancient debris. Like diamond these spawn in the lower levels of the Nether. We’re talking Y11-16. They are very rare though.
Once you get them, you’ll have to smelt them to make Netherite Scraps. Four of those, plus four gold ingots, will make just ONE Netherite ingot!
The tools and armour you can create are incredibly durable and vastly superior to diamond, it might just take you a few days and several diamond pickaxes to find enough ancient debris to make it!
New Nether blocks
- Target blocks: hit with an arrow to send out a redstone signal.
- Crimson Stems and Warped Stems: wood-like materials.
- Basalt blocks: similar to pillars and can be placed in any direction.
- Crimson Nylium and Warped Nylium: ground surface blocks. Nylium can be spread by using bone meal on Netherrack.
- Nether Sprouts, Crimson Roots and Warped Roots: vegetation blocks.
- Crimson Fungi and Warped Fungi: can be grown using bone meal.
- Weeping Vines: vines grow from the bottom of the block.
- Shroomlights: a source of natural light.
- Soul Soil: when fire touches this soil the flames turn blue.
- Warped Warts: decorative blocks.