The FIFA 23 Gameplay trailer showcased some incredible new features set to arrive in this year's game.
Brand new shot types, set-piece overhaul, and an innovative penalty system have all been revealed, with FIFA 23's gameplay set to be the most advanced yet.
WATCH - Gameplay Trailer
EA dropped the brand gameplay trailer on Wednesday, 27 July.
Over 10 minutes were showcased, breaking down the new gameplay features and showing off the new HyperMotion2 technology.
FIFA 23 Gameplay
Gameplay is set to go to another level in FIFA 23, with the power of next-generation consoles now firmly understood.
Better software breeds better results, and EA may be about to drop the most realistic FIFA yet.
With criticisms waged at the gameplay in previous FIFA games, we wouldn't be surprised if 23 marks a real change.
FIFA 23 New Gameplay Features
There is plenty of new features coming to FIFA 23 Gameplay, so who better to divulge the information than EA?
Here are all the latest features to be introduced in FIFA 23:
HYPERMOTION2 GAMEPLAY TECHNOLOGY
Powered by Football, advances to groundbreaking EA SPORTS FIFA HyperMotion gameplay technology take FIFA 23 to over 6000 true-to-life football animations that deliver realism every time you step on the pitch in FIFA 23:
- Advanced 11v11 Match Capture: Xsens suits enable millions of data points to be captured from professional footballers playing real, high-intensity 11v11 matches. FIFA 23 includes Advanced 11v11 Match Capture data from two new full-match motion capture shoots with professional teams - including a FIFA-first motion capture of a women’s match - and data from five training drills, leading to more high-fidelity, true-to-life animations than ever before in an EA SPORTS FIFA title.
- Machine Learning: Advances to our cutting-edge and proprietary machine learning algorithm bring football realism to more footballing situations in FIFA 23. Learning from a cumulative 9.2 million frames of advanced match capture, the algorithm writes new animations in real time to create natural and realistic football motion across a variety of interactions on the pitch in FIFA 23.
The result brings FIFA 23 even closer to both the professional men’s and women’s games seen in stadiums all around the world, as HyperMotion2 gameplay technology unlocks brand new features that deliver unprecedented animation quality both on and off the ball:
- Full Team Authentic Motion: Player motion data captured from two further high-intensity 11v11 matches using Xsens suits leads to even more natural football animation in FIFA 23, captured directly from the pitch. Data captured from both a men’s and women’s match culminates in a combined total of over 6000 HyperMotionenabled animations that make players move and play more responsively and realistically than ever before.
- Powering the Women’s Game: Dedicated Advanced 11v11 Match Capture of a full-intensity women’s match combined with machine learning technology to power the women’s game in FIFA 23, creating authentic animation informed by the movement of real-life women’s players.
- Technical Dribbling: A brand new dribbling system allows attackers to calculate their path to the ball more intelligently. Animation transitions are informed by machine learning between every dribble touch, delivering next-gen visuals and variety with the ball at your feet. Whether you’re taking on a defender for pace or keeping the ball close to turn away from an opponent, ultra-responsive dribbling makes the world's best move more fluidly than ever before.
- ML-Jockey: Machine learning technology learns from real-world defensive situations and movement taken from Advanced 11v11 Match Capture data to rewrite the jockeying system in FIFA 23, creating more natural animations as defenders face up to oncoming attackers.
- AcceleRATE: New acceleration mechanics provide a new layer of personality to how players reach their top speed in FIFA 23. From explosive acceleration off the mark to more controlled or lengthy changes of pace, players will now reach their top speed at different rates to create more variety in player movement and gameplay in FIFA 23.
- Composed Ball Striking: New animations powered by HyperMotion2 allow for more natural transition between controlling the ball and shooting. Combining precision and fluidity, longer high-quality animation creates one continuous motion as players trap the ball, rotate, and strike the ball towards the target.
- Kinetic Goalkeeper vs Header Battles: An evolution in two player interaction technology syncs player animations as goalkeepers rise to meet crosses against opposing attacking players, creating cleaner outcomes as keepers claim aerial balls.
ADDITIONAL GAMEPLAY FEATURES
Enjoy a more true-to-life football experience in FIFA 23 with new gameplay features that create risk-versus-reward shooting, new free kick, penalty, and corner mechanics, and more football variety:
- Power Shots: A new skill-based, risk versus reward shooting mechanic brings football’s most powerful and impressive shots into the game. Create space away from defenders, pick your spot and trigger a power shot to add additional power to your strike and a chance of the spectacular.
- Redesigned Set Pieces: A set piece redesign gives you more control over free kicks, penalties and corners, allowing you to choose where you make contact on the ball to change direction, trajectory, curl, and more. Plus an update to camera positions on corners better reflects the drama of dead ball situations.
- On-Pitch Physics: Updated physics in FIFA 23 makes a number of on-pitch interactions more natural and realistic:
- Advanced Impact Physics: Advanced Impact Physics makes players’ individual limbs more naturally affect the outcome when defenders block the ball in FIFA 23. Deflections and blocks from defenders and goalkeepers’ arms, legs, hands, and even fingers will now have more realistic outcomes determined by the impact of the ball upon them, as they absorb the power of the shot to affect the ball’s path and create more visually authentic deflections based on the speed and force of each individual strike.
- Net Interaction Physics: New net physics reacts to the motion of players, responding to individual limbs and creating more natural interactions with the net as players run, slide, or fall into the goal.
- Player Awareness: A new collision prediction system enhances players’ awareness on the pitch, allowing them to move intelligently to avoid tackles and collisions.
- Football Variety: New animations and mechanics bring more natural football variety into FIFA 23 to bring the game closer to the real world.
- Shooting: See different shot trajectories including low, dipping, and bouncing shots alongside diving headers.
- Defending: Hard clearance slide tackles, physical tackles, and even backheel tackles give you more ways to defend against oncoming attackers.
- Passing: New passing types give you new ways to find teammates, with outside of foot passes, fancy off-the-back passes, volley passes, and new clearance animations.
- CPU AI Tactical Awareness: Tactical enhancements mean AI opponents better react and respond tactically to the on-pitch situation, including factors like score, match time, and available players on the bench to change and update formations and playing style mid-game.
For more articles like this, take a look at our FIFA page.