Sea of Thieves Season 2 is out now and we've got everything you need to know thanks to some detailed Release Notes that showcase everything added in the latest patch update.
Season 2 Release Notes
Sea of Thieves Season 2 is introducing another Plunder Pass and several new Trials and Deeds to give you that all-important progression boost early on.
Seasonal Progression and Rewards
- Season Two is here, bringing new levels of progression alongside new rewards to earn. Crews are free to enjoy the game their way, playing through the Season on their terms, while a wealth of new features arriving in Season Two also add to the Season journey.
- Progressing through Season Two will reward pirates with the Lucky Hand clothing set, unique Season Two specials along with time-limited Ocean Deep collectables.
- For those sneaky pirates looking to hide in plain sight, the new Barrel Disguise Emote can be earned early in the Season by progressing to level 13. Check those barrels, crew!
- Players who are already Pirate Legend, or earn this Title during the Season, will be able to unlock The Athena’s Might Cutlass and Shackled Phantom Hull.
- Completing each tier within the Season will award a unique Title that shows your success for all to see!
- The Season Two reward view has been redesigned, providing more clarity between rewards earned for free through regular Season play and those unlocked with the additional purchase of the Plunder Pass.
Season Two Trials
- Players looking to accelerate their progress through a Season should take on the Trials – themed sets of tasks known as Deeds that will test your adventuring, exploring and battling capabilities.
Emissary Play Release Notes
One focus of Sea of Thieves Season 2 is the Trading Company Emissary work and the rewards you can get from being more Merchant than Menace.
Emissary Trade Routes
- As a Merchant Alliance Emissary, players can now purchase Commodity Crates from Merchant Alliance representatives and sell them at different Outposts for profit.
- A Merchant Inventory can now be found at each Outpost for players to reference which Commodity Crates are currently sought-after at each Outpost. Outpost supply and demand is constantly shifting, so check the Inventory each week for the latest on where these Commodities can be sold for profit!
- Using the Merchant Inventory to seek out sought-after stock and sell Commodity Crates for the highest profit also awards Renown to help you progress through the Season.
Trade Route Commendations
- The Merchant Alliance reputation tab now houses new Commendations for players engaging with Emissary Trade Routes and unlocking the Merchant Alliance Hook and Merchant Alliance Eyepatch at the Outpost clothing shops.
Trade Route Achievements
- A new Xbox and Steam achievement can be unlocked by progressing through the new in-game Commendations. A total of 20 gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and this achievement will remain in the game indefinitely:
- Convenient Stores [20G]
New Emissary Ledger Rewards
- Each Season will now introduce additional Emissary Ledger rewards for all five Emissary Trading Companies. Additional rewards are queued up after any previously unearned Ledger rewards and include new Titles for all Tiers, along with new cosmetic rewards for the top two tiers.
- Representing the Gold Hoarders well in their Ledger can now earn players the Tribute Peak Hull and Figurehead.
- Players seeking out the secrets of the Order of Souls can earn the Relic of Darkness Hull and Figurehead from their Ledger.
- The Merchant Alliance honour their high-performing Ledger representatives with the Merchant Ambassador Hull and Figurehead.
- Flying the flag of The Reaper’s Bones and earning a high rank in their Ledger can earn players the Masked Renegade Hull and Figurehead.
- Legendary pirates representing Athena’s Fortune in their Ledger can earn the Legendary Spirit Pistol and Cutlass to show their allegiance to the Pirate Lord.
- By browsing the Trading Company shops or reputation menu for the Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls, Merchant Alliance or The Reaper’s Bones, players can now summon an Emissary tutorial explaining the ins and outs of Emissary play.
- The purchasable Emissary Flag required to represent a Trading Company has been renamed to an Emissary Licence to reinforce its single purchase requirement.
Forts of Fortune Details
This new World Event raises the stakes and puts you up against more than just a measly skeleton. Look out for the Skull Clouds!
Forts of Fortune
- The scarred Skull Cloud heralding a Fort of Fortune is a rare sight on the Sea of Thieves. When you hear the accompanying sound resonating across the seas, rally your crew to do battle for the fabled loot locked away inside its Vault.
- Forts of Fortune feature more challenging enemy waves, with Captains appearing more regularly. Defeated Captains drop the location of a useful item to use in the battle ahead, from ammo crates and kegs to Chests of Rage and the mighty Ashen Winds Skull. The final waves will pit crews against savage Skeleton Lords before they finally face up to an even fiercer foe.
Forts of Fortune Rewards
- The Vaults within Forts of Fortune are stocked with highly prized rewards to entice players to compete for the riches, in addition to awarding Renown to the triumphant crew.
- Crews can earn Athena’s Fortune reputation from the Chest of Legends, Kegs of Ancient Black Powder, Crates of Legendary Voyages, Villainous Skulls of Ancient Fortune and Gilded Relics of Ancient Fortune.
- Stronghold rewards are stacked with Stronghold Gunpowder Barrels, Stronghold Skulls and Stronghold Chests.
- A range of bountiful rewards complete the Vault offering with Crates of Ancient Bone Dust, Crates of Exquisite Spices, Captain’s Chests, Crates of Exotic Silks and Ruby Mermaid Gems.
- The Order of Souls reputation tab holds a new Commendation for crews storming a fabled Fort of Fortune.
Game Events Updates
Reapers vs The World is the next major in-game event and this kicks off on April 22nd. We've got everything you need to know ahead of this limited-time event below:
Reapers vs. the World (starts April 22nd)
- Across the seas, Emissary Flags are flying high and Reapers can be seen in pursuit of their precious cargo. This Event focuses on a specific Trading Company every fortnight, encouraging crews to side with their cause and support the Company – or choose the way of the Reapers and hunt them down.
- Every fortnight, a Mysterious Note informs crews of the Trading Company seeking to bolster their reputation. Check the Events menu to find a fresh batch of Deeds and take on the challenge. Completing these Deeds will allow players to earn Renown and cosmetic rewards such as the Gold Hoarders Lantern, Order of Souls Spyglass and Merchant Alliance Compass.
- For the blackhearted Reapers among you, this Event holds a special challenge. The Reaper’s Bones are keeping note of all Emissary Flags captured and returned to The Reaper’s Hideout, and will provide crews with a cosmetic reward depending on which Trading Company suffers the greatest losses.
- When this Event is over, the themed Trading Company rewards will still be obtainable from Outpost stores after completing certain Commendations.
- Unlock even more cosmetics in Season Two with Twitch Drops. Tune in to Partnered streamers to earn new additions to the Gilded Phoenix set, along with bonus emotes. Find out how to link your accounts and more on our Twitch Drops page.
- Starting this month, more cosmetics, currency and emotes are up for grabs in a series of time-limited packs for Prime Gaming members! Stay tuned to Sea of Thieves social channels to find out how to link your Amazon Prime account and claim the loot when it goes live soon.
Pirate Emporium Changes
The Black Phoenix ship cosmetics aren't the only thing being added to the Pirate Emporium this season! There's also a free emote included.
Season Two Plunder Pass
- Season Two’s Plunder Pass offering has grown! Purchase this brand new Plunder Pass to add 11 extra rewards to the pool available to earn by climbing the levels of Seasonal progression, along with new Ancient Coin drops at each Tier.
- This Season’s Plunder Pass contains early access to the Black Phoenix Figurehead, Sails and Flag along with the Backflip and Popcorn emotes. These early access items will be available for individual purchase in the Pirate Emporium after the Season ends.
- The Plunder Pass also offers access to the Shrouded Ghost Hunter Costume and Blunderbuss, Cronch Cutlass, Elemental Power Hull, Paradise Garden Cannons and Witch Markings Makeup, all obtainable by progressing through Season Two.
- The Season Two Plunder Pass is available to purchase through the Pirate Log, Pirate Emporium, Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store.
Dark Warsmith Ship Collection
- Embellish your ship with the new Dark Warsmith Ship Collection, including a shining Collector’s Figurehead and devilish Collector’s Sails!
- A Dark Warsmith Essential Ship Bundle is also on offer, including the core ship cosmetics at a lower price.
Dark Warsmith Costume
- Become the Dark Warsmith from shadowy Sea of Thieves legend and strike dread into your foes with this new costume.
- While wearing this costume, players can perform the Evil Laugh Emote.
Dark Warsmith Weapons
- Previously included in the Season One Plunder Pass, the Dark Warsmith weapons are now available to purchase from the Pirate Emporium.
Silver Skull Sails
- Previously included in the Season One Plunder Pass, the Silver Skull Sails are now available to purchase from the Pirate Emporium.
Reaper’s Heart Dog
- Complete your loveable Reaper’s Heart pet set with the Reaper’s Heart Dog, a good pupper brought to life with dark magic.
Dagger Tricks Emote Bundle
- Impress your friends and show off your sharpened object handling skills with these four new emotes.
Freebie Thigh Slapper Emote
- Have a jolly ol’ time and dance away your woes with this free Thigh Slapper Emote.
Wars & Paws Bundle (Store Only)
- Available only from the Xbox, Microsoft and Steam Stores, this bundle contains the Reaper’s Heart Dog and Dark Warsmith Costume complete with Evil Laugh Emote, along with 550 Ancient Coins and a 25,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store to find out more.
Full Patch Notes & File Size
That isn't even it though! There are a whole load more changes you can check out on the Season 2 Release Notes page here.
This includes a list of Fixed Issues, Accessibility Changes, and World Event Balancing.
You can check out the full list of file sizes for the install here:
- Xbox Series X: 5.1 GB
- Xbox Series S: 3.65 GB
- Xbox One X: 5.1 GB
- Xbox One: 3.65 GB
- Windows 10: 6.39 GB
- Steam: 4.61 GB
Season 2 Trailer
You can check out the trailer for Sea of Thieves Season 2 below. It goes over some of the new features coming in the update and some of the cosmetics you'll be able to earn from the Season 2 Plunder Pass.