RuneScape is synonymous with PC gaming, with millions of players having played it at some point in their time as a gamer.
Recently the game has seen a resurgence in popularity, hitting its an all time record of over 1.2 million paid subscribers joining in 2020, as well as over 300 million accounts made.
Year Of Celebration
RuneScape was first released 20 years ago on January 4 2001.
The MMO became a smash hit around the world and has remained popular to this day.
In recent years its seen a newfound growth in popularity thanks to the release of Old School RuneScape, allowing players to revisit the game they grew up with, in the way they used to play it.
Today the developers, Jagex, have announced a "year-long programme of 20th anniversary-themed game content coming to both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape".
Phil Mansell, Jagex CEO, said:
“20 years of RuneScape is a massive milestone for Jagex and the games, and I thank our players for being on this incredible journey with us, especially when the games are enjoying their best years ever – so far! RuneScape has come a long way since 2001 when it was launched by a small team of visionary game developers. It was innovative and ambitious right from the start in providing players with a free, always-on, role-playing game with a unique personality.
“Today the RuneScape games are a true Great British success story that has gone global. It has thrived for 20 years by embracing its heritage while also evolving with more than 1,000 game and content updates, making it a truly living game. As we continue to make the RuneScape universe more accessible to more players all over the world, we’ll celebrate throughout 2021 with one of the most content-rich years for the games ever and here’s to the next 20 years!”
The Grand Party
Today a new event called The Grand Party will begin.
This event with bring players together with some of the game's most recognisable characters.
Throughout the next 12 months players will be able to take part in various events and new questlines, as well as an epic year-long story arc "in which the Elder Gods, the beings who forged Gielinor, rise once again."
Old School RuneScape
Old School RuneScape launched back in 2013, based off a 2007 build of the game.
Players of this version will also be able to take part in the Year Of Celebration.
The game recently saw its highest-ever number of concurrent users with more than 173,000 players.
It was helped by games arrival on Steam, opening up the game to a whole new audience.
What To Expect
The Year Of Celebration will see many new additions, quests, and events come to game throughout 2021 including:
- The Grand Party – The big birthday in-game event for RuneScape launches today. It brings players together with some of the most iconic characters from RuneScape’s history, such as the Wise Old Man and the Sandwich Lady, in Lumbridge Crater. Packed with plenty of anniversary references and memorable moments from the game’s past, The Grand Party also offers a generous helping of area buffs and collectable in-game rewards, including the 20th Anniversary Cape and Outfit.
- A multi-part 20th anniversary quest – Once Upon a Time is a new four-part 20th anniversary series that will run across the entire year as a celebratory romp through RuneScape’s past, present, and even provide a glimpse of its future. It begins on 25th January with the prologue called ‘Foreshadowing’, which sets the scene for the adventure to come.
- The epic Elder Gods story arc ignites throughout 2021 as the as the conflict with the legendary beings that created the universe intensifies.
- RuneScape launches on mobile – After a successful tenure in Early Access on Android and Closed Beta on iOS, players can look forward to RuneScape’s full launch on mobile and tablet devices in 2021. It delivers cross-platform play across mobile and desktop editions, enabling players to jump seamlessly between the two, taking their adventure anywhere.
- Old School RuneScape – RuneScape’s sister title begins its own year of anniversary content on 6th January with the Green Gnome Child Players team up with the Green Gnome Child on a trek through the original haunts of RuneScape to unlock the Realm of Memories and battle with demons and dragons, complete with rewards including a 20th Anniversary Cloak and a Gnome Child dedication for player-owned home chapels.
- Read all about it with ‘RuneScape: The First 20 Years–An Illustrated History’ – In partnership with Jagex, Dark Horse Books will publish RuneScape: The First 20 Years – An Illustrated History as a full-colour hardcover companion book in the second half of this year with pre-orders coming soon. Offering a look behind the scenes of the past two decades, the book explores the detailed tapestry of RuneScape and Old School RuneScape with hundreds of full-colour illustrations and exclusive interviews.
- Commemorative collectibles – Also in partnership with Jagex, Laced Records will release a special gold vinyl pressing of the ‘RuneScape: Original Soundtrack Classics’ album featuring 24 of the most-loved midi tracks from the early days of RuneScape and Old School RuneScape. Limited-edition collectibles will also be available, beginning with a Tutorial Island pin badge recognising where all players ventured forth from. With additional exclusives anniversary-themed items to be announced throughout the year, the album and the first collectibles are now available to pre-order on the RuneScape merch store.