What Are The Steam Deck Specs
- CPU: AMD Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
- GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
- RAM: 16 GB DDR5
- Storage: 64GB, 256GB, 512GB versions; expandable with MicroSD cards
- Display: 7" diagonal, 1280x800 (16:10), 60Hz LCD touchscreen
Audio: Stereo speakers that "pack a punch," says Valve, 3.5mm stereo jack, dual mics, multichannel USB-C/Bluetooth output
- Controls: Two analog sticks with capacitive touch, D-pad, face buttons, analog triggers, bumpers, assignable grip buttons, "view" and "menu" buttons, gyro
- Trackpads: There's two of them, and Valve says that they have "55% better latency compared to Steam Controller."
Wireless connectivity: Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Battery: 40Whr, "2-8 hours of gameplay"
Size: 11.7" x 4.6" x 1.8" (298mm x 117mm x 49mm)
Weight: Approximately 1.47 lbs (669 grams)
Not Just A Console But Portable PC
Announced as being able to do everything that makes a PC stand out from consoles, they are optimized just to run Steam games and the possibilities of customization are limited.
- It is not Steam exclusive you can download games and content from other platforms.
- They are producing deck station to play in a bigger screen.
- They have connectivity to the majority of controllers via USB or Bluetooth 5.0
- Multiplayer: you can connect multiple controllers besides the options of playing online.
- Powered by a new version of SteamOS, Valve's Linux-based operating system, though you'll be able to play Windows games that don't have official Linux support using Valve's compatibility tech.
- Steam OS will be Licensed free in case other companies want to develop hardware and similar software. Similar to Android.
How to Pre Order the Steam Deck
The Steam Deck will begin shipping in December 2021. You'll be able to pre order the Steam Deck from the Steam website on July 16.
They are limited to one per customer and carry a $5 fee, which is taken off the balance of your total purchase when you place your order for the device.
"When inventory is available, customers will be notified in the order reservations were made to make their purchase," says Valve.
Steam Deck will start shipping in December to the US, UK, Canada, and the European Union. For other regions, units won't ship until 2022.
How Much Does The Steam Deck Cost
The price of the Steam Deck depends on which version you want. There are three different versions based on storage size.
The Steam Deck costs:
- $399 for the 64GB version
- $529 for the 256GB version
- $649 for the 512GB version
The more expensive versions of the Steam Deck also feature faster storage, but all three versions will let you increase storage space with a microSD card. All versions includes charger and a portable case.
At first glance, the most controversial is the layout that seems to be odd. However, some testers mentioned it's not a big issue. Another concern is the short battery life, considering 2-8 hours of gameplay is not enough for hardcore players.
The price is steep, however, creators justified that they'd rather hike the prices that compromise performance.
The waiting time for this new gadget is still long, so we will hear more about it in the upcoming months. In the meantime, don't forget that pre-order is now available!