If Genshin Impact players feel that it's time to permanently retire from adventuring, they can always choose to delete their account.
At least, the process should be that easy for those that want to quit, but the development team had a good reason to make it somewhat hard to do.
As with most gacha games, when starting out players tend to reroll accounts in the hopes of getting a better pull in their first gacha roll. This is done when a new character is released and players want to roll with the hopes of starting with them.
Most mobile gacha games like Fate/Grand Order, Fire Emblem Heroes and Epic Seven allow easy rerolling just by deleting the data in the game, then redownloading the data to start a new account.
Genshin Impact stops this process with account verification, using emails to log in much like the norm in most online games.
In this case, logging into the game requires a miHoYo account (or a PSN account for PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 users) using your registered email, thus making deleting data for whatever purpose a lot harder.
So how do you delete your miHoyo account?
You have to announce your intent in deleting the game to the development team themselves.
The best way to get in touch is to send them an email with the intent and the reason behind deleting the account. Just remember proper manners and language when emailing the team responsible for running the game.
Here are the steps in deleting your Genshin Impact account:
- You have to have access to your email that's registered to your miHoYo account.
- Use the email ID firstname.lastname@example.org and/or email@example.com as the recipients of your message.
- The subject should make the intent to delete the registered account clear.
- Write down the message explaining your reason to delete. Make sure you mention the email ID and player's name to make it easier for them to look for your mentioned account.
- Once sent, the processing and waiting begins. Be prepared to wait for a long time; the deletion of an account can take as long as two months.
Unfortunately, PlayStation players cannot delete their accounts quite so easily as their PC or mobile counterparts.
This is because PlayStation players accounts are tied to their PSN accounts.
In essence, this means that you would need to delete your PSN account to delete your miHoYo account. But obviously, no one would do such a bonkers thing as it would mean deleting other games within a player's library as well.