In the realm of LoL, Jhin the Virtuoso is about to be joined by a more tormented and brooding Ionian counterpart, Hwei, the Visionary. Hwei will be the final new champion to grace the Rift in 2023, in tandem with the much-anticipated Preseason 2024 update.
Riot devs promised to deliver an "artistic mid-laner" as the last of four champions in 2023, following Milio, Naafiri, and Briar, and they did deliver! Hwei stands out as LoL's first champion capable of casting ten unique spells, offering unparalleled gameplay potential with his intricate ability kit centred around the mastery of paint and art.
While Hwei has access to a vast array of spells, players aspiring to unlock his full potential will need to make strategic decisions about which abilities to use in each situation.
Without further ado, here's everything we know about the new LoL champion Hwei.
LoL Hwei release date
LoL players can expect Hwei to hit PBE on 21 November 2023. Hwei’s official live-server release date is set for 6 December 2023, coinciding with the final update of the year, patch 13.24.
Hwei abilities revealed
Hwei, the Visionary, emerges as League of Legends' first champion capable of casting ten unique spells, offering a vast array of strategic possibilities. His basic abilities are organised into three unique spellbooks, each representing a distinct artistic theme that shapes the nature of its respective spells:
- Subject: Disaster (Q) - focuses on the relentless and destructive forces of nature
- Subject: Serenity (W) - provides invigorating and sustaining energy
- Subject: Torment (E) - boasts powerful crowd-control effects
Every spell requires two button presses to cast. However, if you change your mind halfway, don't fret - simply combine it with R to cancel the selection.
Here's a quick rundown of all of Hwei's abilities:
- Subject: Disaster (Q) - offence
- QQ - Devastating Fire: Hurls a blazing fireball that explodes upon impact
- QW - Severing Bolt: Launches a delayed long-range strike that deals increased damage to immobilised or isolated targets
- QE - Molten Fissure: Creates a trail of erupting volcanoes that deal damage and slow enemies
- Subject: Serenity (W) - utility
- WQ- Fleeting Current: Paints a current of swift water in a line that grants movement speed to allies
- WW - Pool of Reflection: Forms a pool that shields and empowers allied champions within
- WE - Stirring Lights: Summons three swirling lights that enhance his next three attacks and spells, dealing bonus magic damage and restoring mana on hit
- Subject: Torment (E) - crowd control
- EQ - Grim Visage: Launches a terrifying face that inflicts magic damage and causes enemies to flee
- EW - Gaze of the Abyss: Conjures an abyssal eye that grants vision, locks onto the nearest visible enemy, and roots them after a short delay
- EE - Crushing Maw: Summons crushing jaws that deal damage and pull enemies towards the centre, slowing them.
- R - Spiraling Despair
- Launches a vision of pure despair that attaches to an enemy champion, expanding over time to deal magic damage per second and apply a stacking slow to enemies within its range. Upon completion, the vision shatters, dealing magic damage.
For a more in-depth explanation of Hwei's abilities, be sure to check out our "All LoL Hwei Abilities Revealed and Explained" guide here!
Interested in learning more about LoL Preseason 2024? We've got you covered. Check out our comprehensive LoL Preseason 2024 guide here, which includes its release date and details on the upcoming sweeping changes! We have also compiled all possible map changes to arrive in Season 14.
For more news on League of Legends, make sure to check out Realsport101.
For more articles like this, take a look at our League Of Legends page.