Tsushima is under attack - in 4K and 60FPS - and you can now fight off the Mongol Invasion on your PS5 with Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut release. If you're struggling to upgrade to the Director's Cut, though, you're not alone. Here's everything you need to know.
UPDATE - You should be able to upgrade now!
For some reason, the PS5 upgrade for Ghost of Tsushima to the Director's Cut was locked until release day. You could pre-order the PS4 version of the Director's Cut and the full game, but if you wanted to upgrade from Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 to Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut on PS5, you have had to wait.
Now though, you can get the upgrade from the PS Store! You should be able to find it as a downloadable add-on for Ghost of Tsushima PS4. If not, then you'll need to insert your physical Ghost of Tsushima disc for the PS4 version of the game. You can still get the PS5 version at a discount, but you'll need to keep your PS4 disc as a sort of "key" to unlock access to it. It's annoying, but that's how it is.
Upgrade Guide - Ghost Of Tsushima
Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut upgrade isn't a simple next-gen improvement. There's also a lot of new content on offer. That means there are a few different ways you can upgrade your version of Ghost of Tsushima.
Below, we've listed everything that Sucker Punch has shared so far regarding the various ways Ghost of Tsushima can be upgraded going forwards.
- From Base PS4 Version to Director's Cut PS4
- You can pre-order the upgrade for $19.99 USD (or equivalent) ahead of August 20th as an Expansion to Ghost of Tsushima.
- From Base PS4 Version to Base PS5 Version
- This is not available. You can only upgrade with the Director's Cut version of Ghost of Tsushima on PS4.
- From Director's Cut PS4 to Director's Cut PS5
- You will be able to purchase this at any time from August 20th for $9.99 (or equivalent) from the PlayStation Store.
- From Base PS4 Version to Director's Cut PS5
- Starting from August 20th, this will be available as a single purchase for $29.99 (or equivalent).
As you might imagine, August 20th is a little far out. They have promised to reveal more information and update the PS Store closer to release. For now, though, you can pre-order the Director's Cut upgrade for Ghost of Tsushima on PS4.
What Does The Upgrade Get You?
Aside from all the standard PS5 features (3D Audio, Haptic Feedback, Adaptive Triggers...), Ghost of Tsushima's Director's Cut upgrade actually adds quite a lot of new content. It certainly justifies the $20/$30 price tag for anyone who's a fan of the game.
Here's what you can expect to get with the Director's Cut upgrade below:
- Director's Commentary
- The creative team sits down with a renowned Japanese historian to look at the world of Ghost of Tsushima and how it compares to the real-life events that inspired it.
- Hero of Tsushima Skin Set
- Golden Mask, Sword Kit, Horse Saddle, & Armour
- In-Game Items
- 1x Technique Point, Charm of Hachiman's Favor
- Digital Mini Art Book
- From Dark Horse
In addition to all this, the PS5 version will also reportedly have Japanese Language Audio Lip Syncing features. This is a huge improvement on the PS4 version for fans of a more authentic experience.
In addition to this, if you're looking to play Ghost of Tsushima on PS5... Expect to see improved visuals and performance, faster loading times, and a generally smoother experience.
Featured Image Credit: Tom's Guide