In recent weeks, we've seen Microsoft gear up for the Xbox Series X|S launch.
As well as all this, the all-new Xbox app launched - but it has received a mixed response.
Line of Issues
The new Xbox app has a great look, but we're hoping that a few of its are just teething problems, and perhaps explains why the app has launched now, rather than alongside Xbox Series X|S.
- Icon Colour - The colour is different from the Game Pass icon colour
- LFG (Looking for Group) is missing - launched back in May, LFG allows community members to link up and complete activities.
- Achievements are missing
- You can no longer change your profile picture
- You can no longer send pictures over the Xbox messaging feature
- The Xbox symbol does nothing
- No access to the Xbox store
- No way to redeem codes
Of course, this is not the be all and end all, but Microsoft must look to address these issues before the Xbox Series XS launch.
The comments in the Reddit post state the app is "a work in progress", so let's hope for some tweaks in the coming weeks.
On the PS side
PlayStation on the other hand, has kept many of its features under wraps (despite stripping down the entire console).
Only recently did we see the PS5 UX for the first time, and off the back of that, there are question marks over the actual SSD space.
Similarly, it's still unclear as to whether you can store games on an external HDD.
Xbox's Quick Resume looks remarkable, but we don't know if PS5 will feature anything similar.
As far as a new app is concerned, PlayStation's app has received no update ahead of PS5 - despite the console arriving in less than three weeks.
Yes, Xbox may have some teething issues, but they look much better prepared than PlayStation.