The Sims 4: Best Expansion Packs – All 9 DLCs ranked from best to worst
EA’s popular life-sim has an extensive range of expansion packs, some more appealing than others.
EA has continued to add flair and excitement to The Sims 4 in the form of expansion packs.
There are now nine expansion packs on the market, after the release of the most recent Eco Lifestyle DLC, but which one is the best?
Keep reading for our ranking of every Sims 4 expansion pack, that you can enjoy ahead of The Sims 5‘s release.
Seasons was released on 22nd June 2018 and adds a more realistic experience to The Sims by introducing the Seasons and all the fun that goes along with them.
It may seem like a simple concept for an expansion pack, but it has its charm.
- The ability to alter and control the weather
- Create your own holidays
- Holidays are a great way to meet other Sims
- New activities revolved around the seasons
- Lack of career paths
- Not a large amount of holidays
- Becomes repetitive after a while
8. City Living
This interesting expansion pack introduces you to the new city San Myshuno, a cool urban city with several districts, skyscrapers and lush scenery.
- Random encounters allow you to meet a lot of interesting Sims
- Lots of festivals and new activities to enjoy
- You have the opportunity to work in Politics, social media and more!
READ MORE: All the cheats for the Sims 4!
- The inability to buy apartments
- Lack of career choices to pick from
- Lack of customisation options for the apartments
7. Get Famous
This glitzy and glamorous expansion pack released on 16th November 2018 lets your Sim live the life of the dreams.
This life of fame and luxury adds an interesting spin to the Sims 4.
- Exciting new ways to play
- Your Sim can become famous
- Exciting new entertainment career options
- A new way to socialise and meet other Sims
READ MORE: Online multiplayer for the Sims 5!
- Lack of career options on your road to fame
- The location is not as big as other expansion packs
6. Island Living
Fantasy island living is a click away with this exotic expansion pack released on June 21st 2019.
This expansion pack really expands your gameplay options and lets you live a lifestyle like no other.
- Explore new cultures in fantastic new settings
- Swim, sunbathe and relax on the beach
- Different vacation options to pick from
- A large variety of new outfits to wear
- Not many career options
- Would be better if there was more islands to choose from
5. Get Together
Fourth place goes to the Get Together expansion released on 8th December 2015.
This expansion is great for those who are wanting to expand their social circle and meet a variety of interesting Sims in an exciting new location Windenburg.
- The freedom to create your own social clubs with your own rules
- Loads of ways to meet other Sims
- Lots of new locations to check out
- New outfits and dances
READ MORE: The cheats we want to see in the Sims 5!
- No new career path options
- Lack of variety with the clubs
4. Get to Work
This classic expansion pack is great for anyone looking for a more exciting career for their Sims and allows your Sim to become a Scientist, Doctor or Detective.
- Three exciting careers to choose from
- A variety of new outfits to try out
- New activities to explore
- The lack of career options is disappointing
- Gets repetitive after a while
3. Cats and Dogs
This adorable expansion pack released on 10th November 2017 lets you adopt a variety of furry friends into the family.
It’s very hard not to love this classic expansion pack, not to mention the detail on the animals are exquisite.
- A great expansion for those familiar with The Sims 3 Pets expansion
- Diverse type of pets and breeds to choose from
- You can meet fellow pet owners and take part in competitions
READ MORE: The easiest way to write songs in the Sims 4
- Has limited content compared to other expansion packs
2. Eco Lifestyle
Coming in at a close second place is EA’s most recent expansion, Eco Lifestyle.
This expansion pack focuses on living an environmentally friendly lifestyle, helping you Sim clean up their neighbourhood!
- You can impact on a neighbourhood and see it change before your eyes
- There are three “levels” of difficulty
- New career options
- Eco-footprint isn’t world locked, will carry through to all other worlds
- Loads of new content and items
- Can be quite overwhelming to get to grips with at first
- Careers like Astronaut aren’t very compatible with the world as rocket’s eco-footprint is pretty negative
Check out our full review for the Eco Lifestyle expansion pack here.
1. Discover University
Coming up in first place is Discover University.
Released on November 15th 2019, this fantastic expansion pack lets you take control of your future and enrol at university.
- You have the freedom to either attend or skip classes and face the consequences
- You get to meet a fantastic array of new Sims
- A variety of sports and extra-curricular activities to explore
- Could use more activity and class options