Rocket League is getting a new game mode, the Gridiron!
Being a game where you can play football with cars, it was only a matter of time until this sport would be introduced.
Keep reading to find out more.
What is The Gridiron
As part of a partnership with the NFL for Super Bowl LV, Rocket League is finally getting the other kind of football: the American one, American Football.
The mode is The Gridiron and it is much more than regular football with an American football. It is indeed a game with American Football rules!
Even though it is not exactly American football, it should be interesting. According to Psyonix's , here is how it works:
Gridiron is 4 vs 4.
- The standard Rocket League ball has been replaced with an American football.
- Touching the ball attaches it to the roof of your car. In Spike Rush, the ball would attach to wherever your car made contact, but in Gridiron it will always attach to your roof.
- If any player touches the ball, that player becomes the ball carrier, setting up the opportunity for hand-offs to teammates or steals by the other team.
- The carrier can single jump, but double jumping drops the ball. You can also pass the ball by dodging.
- Each goal is 3 or 7 points: 7 points are awarded if the ball is attached to a player when entering the opponent's goal, and 3 points are awarded if the ball is passed in or if the ball is loose. All own-goals are worth 3 points whether the ball is attached or it's loose.
- Demos require Supersonic speed just like in standard modes.
- Stay in bounds! You'll fumble the ball if you cross the line marked on the Arena wall.
The Gridiron mode will be temporarily available from February 2 until February 8, so make sure you are quick to download it to be able to play it and have a lot of fun!
The potential for more game modes on Rocket League is almost infinite, and other sports and modes must be in the works. We already saw hockey with Snow Day, but maybe we will see more?
Keep your eyes peeled for The Gridiron on February 2. There'll also be some new challenges that unlock a "Gridiron Guru" player title, NFL wheels, and 20,000 XP, and the NFL Fan Pack will return to the item shop.