I’ve recently covered the top-10 highest-paid safeties in the NFL, and some of them are due to enter free-agency in the next few days. In this article I’m going to take a look at the Top 5 safeties due to hit free-agency later today.
- Eric Weddle, Unrestricted Free Agent. 2015 Salary: $10,100,000
The long-time defender for the San Diego Chargers had a bitter falling out with the organisation towards the end of 2015-16, and was allowed to walk into free agency without a thought of re-signing with the Chargers. Although he came off of a fairly weak campaign in 2015, I believe he’s the best possible option at the position in free-agency, as if he can go to a team with a pass-rush or solid run defense, his production will go up.
- Reggie Nelson, Unrestricted Free Agent. 2015 Salary: $4,775,000
Another defensive back who’s been in the league for a long time, Nelson has been a member of both the Jaguars and Bengals defenses, only missing 6 games over the past 9 seasons. As part of the Bengals’ 11th ranked defense he recorded 8 interceptions, 2 fumble recoveries and 14 passes defended.
- George Iloka, Unrestricted Free Agent. 2015 Salary: $1,582,000
Iloka is arguably the best Strong Safety in this year’s crop of free-agents at the position and will command a fairly large price tag on the open market following a solid campaign alongside Reggie Nelson at the back end of the Bengals’ defense
- Rodney McLeod, Unrestricted Free Agent. 2015 Salary: $2,356,000
The 5th year man out of Virginia has been a consistent starter for the Rams, logging 64 starts in his first 4 season as a St. Louis/LA Ram. In this time he’s logged 245 tackles, 5 interceptions and 18 passes defended. A solid starter for whichever team decides to pick him up as an Unrestricted Free Agent
- Rashad Johnson, Unrestricted Free Agent. 2015 Salary: $2,133,334
Rashad Johnson got lost in the midst of the talented defensive core that the Cardinals had at their disposal through 2015. With Tyrann Matthieu and Patrick Peterson leading the Defensive backs, Johnson was set to have a less-than productive year, however actually had a career season picking off opposing Quarterbacks with 5 on the season; a joint 6th in the entire NFL
- NFL Free Agency 2015: Top 5 Available Offensive Lineman
- NFL Free Agency 2015: Top 5 Available Wide Receivers
- NFL Free Agency 2015: Top 5 Available QB’s
- NFL Free Agency 2015: Top 5 Available Defensive Ends
- NFL Free Agency 2016: Top 5 Available Tight Ends