The dog days of summer are really dragging now. With OTA’s over and training camp around the corner there isn’t a lot of news coming out now but here are the key things going on around the league.
- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins is eyeing up a return during training camp. The initial diagnosis was that he would miss the whole pre-season. “I think I’ll definitely be available. I might sit out two or three days. It’s all about how I feel within those days. The goal is to come back and be prepared for training camp.”
- Veteran cornerback Charles Tillman has said he will only come back for a 14th season in the NFL if it is with the Carolina Panthers. Currently rehabbing from an ACL tear, Tillman feels he still has a lot to offer but only wants to play with the Panthers, who made him feel extremely welcome in his first year there in 2015.
- Muhammad Wilkerson is very unhappy with his contract situation, although not yet ready to not play under the franchise tag. He and the Jets have until 15th July to agree on a long-term deal or else his only option to play on a one-year, $15.7 million deal.
- Former #1 pick Jake Long has told ESPN that he is finally healthy after years of injury issues. The free agent offensive tackle has said he wants to continue playing football, but with ACL tears in 2013 and 2014 it is unlikely too many teams will be calling him up immediately.
- Former Cleveland Browns general manager has left the New England Patriots front office after 2 years with them and is apparently considering a return to media, potentially with Bill Simmons on HBO.
- Carolina Panthers signed Michael Oher to a 3-year extension that could pay the left tackle as much as $21.6 million.
- Baltimore Ravens running back and enormous flop Trent Richardson requires arthroscopic surgery to repair a pre-existing knee injury, potentially ending his comeback attempt early.
- Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll has said he expects both tight end Jimmy Graham and running back Thomas Rawls to be back and healthy in time for the season opener on 11th September.