Rust has received a massive new update, introducing the new Softcore game mode, new gameplay features like Drones, massive bug fixes, and more.
Let's go over the huge new Rust update's patch notes, and how it will affect gameplay.
Rust Softcore Update February 4
Rust is riding a massive wave of new popularity after some of the biggest content creators on Twitch and YouTube have begun forming their own servers in the game.
This means it's a perfect time for a massive new Rust Update, and FacePunch Studios has obliged!
Let's dive right into the February 4th Rust update patch notes.
READ MORE: Rust Game Engine: What is it Running on?
Rust Update Patch Notes
Here's what's coming in the new Rust Update:
Softcore Game Mode
- When you’re killed, half of your inventory can be reclaimed by you at either the spot of your death, or at a reclaim terminal (found at Bandit Town and the Outpost) – items in the reclaim terminal will de-spawn after 2 hours
- All players may now spawn at either the Bandit Town or Outpost safezones at any time (provided they are not flagged as hostile)
- You may only view the contents of a wounded player
- Maximum team size is 4 (this includes the number of people who can authorize at a Tool Cupboard or on an Autoturret)
- Added Jackhammer admire
- Added Drones
- Added Drone marketplace
- Added game mode support
- Added softcore game mode
- Now catching disk I/O exceptions when e.g. trying to take a screenshot with a full hard drive
- Death screen now displays death by poison correctly
- Fixed water jug filling sound not using positional audio
- Fixed items losing their skin when a stack is split (satchel charges)
- Fixed instrument midi playback still working when wounded
- Fixed not being able to buy/sell spacesuits in vending machines (is treated as a distinct item)
- Fixed couch and chair dismount issues
- Fixed deploying items on top of auto turrets
- Fixed keylock floating
- Fixed building plan conflicting phrases and inconsistencies
- Fixed finger clipping on admire Thompson
- Fixed thumb clipping through glove meshes with bow equipped
- Fixed metal shopfront preventing construction placement in certain builds
- Multiple anti-cheat improvements
- Can now wield items while sitting on the sofa deployable
- Improved padding and removed dead space when scrolling through skins (crafting/repair bench)
- Skin picker will now sort by recently used
- Stricter Vending machine placement
- Can now deploy items inside deployable watch towers
- Jackhammer skinnable
- Returned blue barrel
- Shotgun trap now has more accurate colliders
- Wooden shopfront default BP
- Reduced wooden shopfront cost
- Lowered high end weapons drop rate from APC crate
- Removed wooden shopfront from the loot table
- Change lock position on tool cupboard to not clip with cupboard handle
- Fixed being able to play instruments when wounded
- Keylocks now auto-lock on deploy
- Large wooden box can no longer be clipped into world layer
- Monument loot container size reduced
- Stricter shotgun trap placement
READ MORE: When is Rust Coming to PS4 and PS5?