Minecraft version 1.17 is here, and its patch notes are massive!
Let's go over the new content and changes you can experience now in Minecraft Java Edition.
Latest - Caves and Cliffs Part 1 Full Patch Notes
The first update from Minecraft Caves and Cliffs has arrived, and its patch notes are stacked with massive new content!
Check out the highlights from the patch notes below:
- Added Dripstone Block and Pointed Dripstone
- Added Block of Amethyst, Budding Amethyst, Amethyst Cluster, and Amethyst Bud
- Added Block of Raw Iron, Copper, and Gold
- Added Candles
- Added Copper
- Added Deepslate
- Added Glow Lichen
- Added Lava Cauldron
- Added Lightning Rod
- Added Lush Caves Block
- Added Powder Snow
- Added Raw Copper, Raw Iron, and Raw Gold items
- Added the Axolotl
- Added the Glow Squid
- Added the Goat
- Added Spyglass
- Added Tinted Glass
Version 1.17 Release Date
It was a long time in the making, but Minecraft has finally confirmed when the first part of their Caves & Cliffs update is due to drop and when we can expect to see Minecraft version 1.17.
The good news is, you don't have too long to wait! Minecraft 1.17 hits both the Java edition and the Bedrock edition of the game on June 8th.
This means it will be available on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, Windows 10, MacOS, AND Linux simultaneously. Whew. That's a lot of platforms, huh.
Below, we have all the Pre-Release Patch Notes we've seen so far...
Pre-Release 1 Patch Notes
NEW FEATURES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 1
- Added new advancements
- Added “Whatever Floats Your Goat!” for floating in a boat with a goat
- Added “Wax on” for applying wax to a Copper block!
- Added “Wax off” for scraping wax off a Copper block!
- Added “The Cutest Predator” for catching an axolotl in a bucket!
- Added “The Healing Power of Friendship!” for teaming up with an axolotl and winning a fight
- Added “Glow and Behold” for making a sign glow
- Added “Light as a Rabbit” for walking on powder snow with leather boots
- Added “Surge Protector!” for having a lightning strike a lightning rod near a villager without setting the area on fire
- Added “Is it a Bird?” for looking at a parrot through a spyglass
- Added “Is it a Balloon?” for looking at a ghast through a spyglass
- Added “Is it a Plane?” for looking at a dragon through a spyglass
CHANGES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 1
- Candles have been added back to the creative inventory
- Recipes for crafting and dying candles are once again available
- Candles now have a different texture when lit
- Glowing text on signs now has an outer glow, making text in dark colours more visible in the dark
- Holding down the space bar now increases the scroll speed in the credits
FIXED BUGS IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 1
- MC-19690 - Reducing maxHealth / max_health can cause fake death
- MC-65587 - Lag spike while loading player head textures/player skins
- MC-104897 - End crystals placed on exit portals generated before 1.9 do not respawn the ender dragon
- MC-117708 - Credits background jitters
- MC-118757 - Increasing Game State Rain Level values make the game increasingly laggier and distorts UI
- MC-148809 - Structure block data length limited to 12
- MC-163945 - Intersecting structures can create corrupted block entities (spawner / chest)
- MC-189336 - Shifting around servers in the server list crashes the game (ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException)
- MC-192889 - When placing certain heads or putting them in entities’ head slot the game stutters
- MC-197942 - Leaves change to stone near Lava Pool (Recurrence of MC-48340)
- MC-198957 - End Portal Frames change to Stone near Lava Pool
- MC-202249 - Angering passive mobs in new nether chunks very far away from previously generated chunks, then entering a nether portal causes server to completely freeze
- MC-203131 - Setting the weight in Template Pool to high values will lag world and can cause out of memory error.
- MC-203558 - Lighting a candle is sometimes delayed
- MC-203661 - Flowing liquids look very dark through tinted glass
- MC-203704 - Candles don’t show flame animations when particles are set to “Minimal”
- MC-204649 - Amethyst blocks don’t make chime sounds when walked on by certain mobs
- MC-205035 - Powder Snow Bucket is not grouped with Snowball or buckets in creative inventory
- MC-208604 - While the mainhand is empty and there’s a loaded crossbow in the offhand, the mainhand will appear invisible
- MC-209819 - Server crash when pathfinding to player that is teleporting away
- MC-211601 - Entities are loaded after scheduled ticks are processed causing detector rails, pressure plates, etc. to turn off
- MC-212142 - Applying glow ink on signs doesn’t render the text bright without also having applied a custom color
- MC-212146 - Glow lichen can generate floating inside underground structures
- MC-212207 - Geodes generating inside icebergs
- MC-213062 - A ruined portal generated in an end portal
- MC-213799 - Dripleaf isn’t properly held in the player’s hand
- MC-214057 - Entities no longer showing flame animation when in water/lava at the same time
- MC-214636 - Small dripleaf leafs can overlap each other and cause z-fighting
- MC-214684 - Azaleas cannot be placed in flower pots
- MC-216276 - Lava pools break bedrock with custom world generation
- MC-218112 - SynchedEntityData is using locks incorrectly
- MC-218831 - Lots of missing shaders in the game assets
- MC-218972 - The glowing effect outline omits parts of entities if the entity is invisible
- MC-219762 - More performant noise blending algorithm in BlendedNoise
- MC-221554 - When searching, the goat spawn egg appears in the middle of the different boat types
- MC-221820 - Inconsistency: Enderman is able to pick up flowering azalea, while unable to hold normal azalea bush.
- MC-223021 - glShaderSource fails on some AMD drivers resulting in a crash on 1.17
- MC-223843 - Mycelium inside enderman_holdable.json twice
- MC-224159 - Absorbtion hearts don’t have the wither heart effect
- MC-224445 - Reloading resource packs with fabulous graphics causes screen to become black, after a few times causes crash for AMD drivers
- MC-224778 - Game crashes when there is a block with no facing block state in #wall_corals and a warm ocean tries to generate
- MC-224861 - Falling blocks disappear for a moment when landing
- MC-224862 - Azalea and Flowering Azaleas can take bone meal despite being on clay
- MC-225010 - Closing the inventory in creative mode while having an item on the cursor turns it into a ghost item
- MC-225129 - Players do not despawn until they respawn
- MC-225193 - Goats will attempt to ram entities that are outside of the world border
- MC-225315 - Selected text on signs blinks
- MC-225404 - The axe is still an appropriate tool for moss carpets
- MC-225722 - java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: bound must be positive
- MC-225773 - Axolotls can make ambient noises when they’re playing dead
- MC-225843 - Snow layers can still generate floating over lakes
- MC-225850 - Grass, tall grass, flower, double flower, fern, large fern and tree can generate on sand or gravel
- MC-225853 - Minecraft sometimes crashes when trying to start 21w20a for the first time
- MC-225895 - Floating grass can still generate above lava lakes
- MC-225916 - Non-waxed oxidized copper blocks don’t require at least stone tier to be mined
- MC-225919 - Coal Ore from fossils can generate through bedrock
- MC-225929 - Item statistic sorting not functioning
- MC-225978 - Non-waxed weathered copper blocks appear twice in needs_stone_tool.json
- MC-226192 - Crash upon attempting to create a new scoreboard objective: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke “String.toLowerCase(java.util.Locale)” because “â˜ƒ” is null
You can find the full Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Pre-Release 1 Patch Notes here.
Pre-Release 2 Patch Notes
FIXED BUGS IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 2
- MC-68129 - Smooth lighting doesn’t work properly underwater
- MC-196298 - Arrows fired into the side of bamboo or pointed dripstone never despawn
- MC-205840 - Smooth lighting behaves oddly on blocks covered with tinted glass
- MC-213767 - Flowering azalea leaves ID is unintuitive
- MC-220698 - The ExplosionPower of ghast fireballs is uncapped, causing a freeze / crash
- MC-223602 - Glowing translucent entities often don’t merge their outlines with other glowing entities
- MC-225190 - Tnt can be pushed with enchanted sword with knockback
- MC-225911 - Slimes and Magma Cubes not interacting with player
- MC-226470 - Nether Fossils generate on the nether roof above bedrock in soul sand valleys
- MC-226561 - Facing away from signs with glowing text makes the text disappear or z-fight
- MC-226576 - Unknown CPU on Debug menu.
- MC-226782 - /debug start does not work as described
You can find the full Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Pre-Release 2 Patch Notes here.
Pre-Release 3 Patch Notes
CHANGES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 3
- Tweaked the textures of lit candles
- Mobs rammed by goats will no longer retaliate
- Axolotls and Glow Squids now only spawn in total darkness and where there's a natural stone block less than 5 blocks below the spawning space
FIXED BUGS IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 3
- MC-203773 - Lightning rod is floating when held in third-person
- MC-215946 - Game fatally crashed while exploring chunks (IllegalStateException: Accessing PalettedContainer from multiple threads)
- MC-222223 - Baby axolotls despawn
- MC-223147 - Vines aren’t rendered with /setblock
- MC-223227 - Floating water caves in caves under the ocean
- MC-224893 - Replacing Chunk Futures causes several issues
- MC-225077 - Vines can spread upward to non-full blocks
- MC-225344 - Cave generation seems to be broken at seemingly random chunk borders
- MC-226441 - Lit candle texture doesn’t change when on cake
- MC-226514 - Crash trying to start a world: Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read field “u” because “â˜ƒ” is null
- MC-226660 - “Double closing program” warnings upon closing the game
- MC-226874 - Player’s owned player_head on mobs are flashing
- MC-226956 - Gravity blocks do not break when doEntityDrops is set to false
- MC-226970 - Stars are occluded by render fog
- MC-227018 - Changing or reloading resource packs does not reload core shaders until reloading a second time
You can find a full list of the Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Pre-Release 3 Patch Notes here.
Pre-Release 4 Patch Notes
CHANGES IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 4
- Holding down control while holding down space now makes the credits scroll even faster
FIXED BUGS IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 4
- MC-223552 - Credits not alphabetically ordered
- MC-226690 - In the credits, “EXPERIS” is in all capital letters for two employees
- MC-226692 - In the credits, a closing parenthesis is missing for Brian Canning
- MC-226693 - The credits say “Wed Developers” instead of “Web Developers” in one place
- MC-226696 - In the credits, “TEN GUN DESIGN INC” is in all capital letters for one employee
- MC-226700 - Some people are listed twice in the credits
- MC-226702 - The usage and punctuation of “Inc.” and “LLC” are inconsistent in the credits
- MC-226762 - Credits Text Wrapping
- MC-226777 - When a crossbow is loaded in the offhand, you cannot see it or shoot with it if an item is held in the main hand
- MC-227003 - Game crashed whilst debug profiling
- MC-227058 - Any hostility between animals is removed in peaceful
- MC-227092 - Experimental Settings confirmation prompt appears when creating any world in 1.17-pre3
- MC-227107 - C418 is removed from Composers in credits.json
You can find the latest Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Pre-Release 4 Patch Notes Here.
Full Caves & Cliffs Patch Notes?
At the moment, despite all of those Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Pre-Release Patch Notes... We still don't have anything that fully encompasses the upcoming Caves & Cliffs update that's due to drop for Minecraft today.
That being said, we do have a few more bug fixes from Pre-Release 5...
BUGS FIXED IN 1.17 PRE-RELEASE 5
- MC-225707 - Caves and Cliffs Datapacks Server Error
- MC-227065 - Cannot Invoke “na.b(String, int)” because "â˜ƒ is null
- MC-227207 - Datafixer doesn’t properly update certain scoreboard objectives from 1.16 to 1.17
- MC-227208 - Breaking bamboo is excessively laggy since the 1.17 pre-releases
- MC-227232 - Player head SkullOwner tag with username string no longer works
- We're expecting to see the full Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Patch Notes drop tomorrow when the update goes live. Keep an eye on Minecraft's social media channels for more information.