Aptly named Snapshot 21W10A, this smaller update is being used to drip-feed new features and fixes into Minecraft ahead of the much larger update later in the year.
Below, we have everything you need to know about this Minecraft 1.17 Caves and Cliffs update.
Minecraft 1.17 Snapshot Highlights
There are a few things worth mentioning in this Minecraft 1.17 snapshot update that will interest players looking forward to the Caves and Cliffs update.
Firstly, Lush Caves are coming to Minecraft! This new underground biome is currently only available in single-biome worlds, but is something to look forward to in the future updates!
In addition to this, Cracked Deepslate Bricks and Cracked Deepslate Tiles are being added to the game alongside a series of texture updates for the Ores you can find in-game.
READ MORE: How To Tame And Ride A Minecraft Horse
You can check out the minor differences below:
There has been a shuffling about on Ore Distribution in the overworld too so Iron Ore will be less common and Diamond Ore Blocks will appear more frequently in smaller amounts.
It should help to "balance" Minecraft survival games and make finding Diamonds a little more exciting!
If you look at the diagram below, you can see that Emeralds will now spawn more frequently in Overworld mountains and Coal should appear less frequent the deeper you go in a mine.
It also helps to highlight how far down you'll need to go before you start seeing Diamonds.
Full Patch Notes
If that wasn't enough for you, we have the full Patch Notes for you below so you can peruse all the updates yourself!
New Features In 21W10A
- Added Lush Caves underground biome!
- Added Cracked Deepslate Bricks and Cracked Deepslate Tiles
- There is now an Infested variant of Deepslate found in the underground
- While they will not generate in the world by default, Deepslate versions of copper, emerald and coal ores have been added for use by creators of maps and data packs
Lush Caves Biome
- The Lush Caves underground biome now exists for use in single-biome worlds. It does not yet generate in other world types.
- Moss covers the floors and ceilings
- Spore Blossoms grow from the ceiling and drip particles
- Contains clay pools with Dripleaf Plants grow out of them
- Contains Azalea Bushes and Flowering Azalea Bushes
- The Azalea Tree loves to have its roots in lush caves, so if you find an Azalea Tree (either overground or in a cave) you know there is a Lush Cave beneath you
- Cave Vines with Glow Berries grow from the ceiling and light up the caves
Changes In 21W10A
- Cobbled Deepslate can now be smelted into Deepslate
- Deepslate can now be placed along any axis
- Lightning rods can now be waterlogged
- Fossils in the deepest part of the underground generate with Deepslate Diamond Ore instead of Coal Ore
- The textures of Deepslate and some of the ores have been updated
- Overworld ore generation has been tweaked.
- More emeralds in mountains
- More lapis
- Less copper, gold, and Redstone
- Smaller diamond blobs, but slightly more frequent. Less diamond ore overall though
- Less iron, and it generates lower down
- Reduced air exposure for coal
Technical Changes In 21W10A
- The game now runs using OpenGL 3.2 core profile
- The maximum size that slimes can be summoned with is now 128
- The give command can only give up to 100 stacks of items at a time (e.g. 6400 stone or 100 iron swords)
Bug Fixes In 21W10A
- MC-29318 - Client misses inventory updates while the player is manipulating items - causes invisible items
- MC-84121 - The shape of the glow effect is based on the mob’s base layer
- MC-87019 - Only visible slots are updated clientside when you are inside an inventory
- MC-154094 - Lectern running /clear turns items into ghost items
- MC-175964 - Setblock command run by book in lectern to clear inventory run in command block causes ghost items
- MC-201316 - The /give command can create so many items that the game will freeze
- MC-207818 - Placing a sign from the offhand closes the sign UI immediately
- MC-208301 - /clear does not properly affect the item on the mouse pointer after crafting it
- MC-210408 - /spawn point allows players to set their spawn point to out-of-bounds coordinates, which crashes the game when trying to respawn
- MC-211666 - Guardians attack invisible axolotls
- MC-212127 - Normal ink sac and glow ink sac are not grouped in the creative inventory
- MC-212144 - Subtitles refer to Glow Item Frame as “Item Frame”
- MC-212168 - Ctrl + Pick Block doesn’t copy block state “lit”
- MC-212236 - Cannot visually critical-hit a glowing squid (No sound/particles)
- MC-212314 - Glow squid remains dark even if there is a light source block next to it
- MC-212325 - Glow Squid entity data (potion effects, custom name, …) does not get saved
- MC-214629 - FOV decreases when underwater regardless of FOV Effects accessibility setting
- MC-214781 - Lava does not generate at the very bottom of noise caves
- MC-214784 - Fossils can generate floating in caves
- MC-214836 - Water caves cause the land to be excessively flooded
- MC-214844 - Bedrock can be exposed to the air at the very bottom of the new caves
- MC-214970 - Phantoms continuously make too much flapping sounds
- MC-215194 - Structure blocks do not work below y=0
- MC-215838 - There is currently no way to craft deepslate tiles and deepslate bricks
- MC-215850 - Deepslate Tile Wall comes before Deepslate Brick Wall but Deepslate Bricks come before Deepslate Tiles in creative inventory
- MC-215939 - Emerald ore spawns in lower frequencies than it should above y=100
- MC-216136 - Polished deepslate slab isn’t grouped with the other deepslate slabs in creative inventory
- MC-216363 - Crash upon replacing soul sand or magma with the other under a tall bubble column using /setblock
- MC-216735 - Stone Lapis Ore generating in Deepslate
- MC-216736 - Lava lakes generate exposed in caves
- MC-216765 - Coal ore can generate below Y=0 when attached to a fossil
- MC-216817 - Inconsistency: Cobbled deepslate cannot be smelted back into deepslate
- MC-218139 - Spectator vision bug
You can see the full Minecraft 1.17 Update Snapshot 21W10A Patch Notes here.