The latest Minecraft Snapshot 21w17a is available now!
Minecraft developers Mojang Studios are releasing weekly snapshots of the upcoming caves and cliffs update, due to be released in two halves over 2021.
We're here to take you through all the latest changes and everything you need to know about it.
Minecraft Caves & Cliffs Release Date
While no official date has been given for the release, we know that the update will be split into two halves. The first half is due in summer 2021, followed by the second half sometime in the 2021's Holiday season.
We'll let you know as soon as an official release date is announced for Caves & Cliffs.
Read more about everything we know for the coming update here.
21w17a - Full Patch Notes
Below are the full patch notes for this week's Minecraft Snapshot:
Changes in 21w17a
- Small Dripleaves can now also be placed on Moss Blocks
- Copper Ore drops 2-3 raw Copper when mined, or more when using a tool enchanted with Fortune
- Copper blocks are now crafted from 9 copper Ingots
- Tweaked the texture of raw Metal blocks
Changes to the Caves & Cliffs preview
- Large Ore veins have been tweaked
- Added noodle caves - thinner, squigglier, and more claustrophobic variant of spaghetti caves
Large Ore Veins
- Ore veins are now slightly rarer and slightly smaller (but they're still large!)
- The ores in the vein are clumpier and less evenly distributed
- if you are lucky you may find a raw ore block in the vein
Fixed Bugs in 21w17a
- MC-170443 – Banner copying recipe ignores existence of other items in crafting grid
- MC-187664 – World border uses float to determine its size, making some border sizes inaccessible, and cannot be set to 30 million or beyond
- MC-201269 – Constantly teleporting player to a phantom crashes the game/kicks the player
- MC-203570 – Candles aren’t grouped in the recipe book
- MC-203745 – Repeated teleport between dimensions causes the entity to duplicate on the client
- MC-204031 – Waxed Cut Copper (any level of weathered) have two separate recipes in the recipe book
- MC-214187 – Void platform generates multiple times
- MC-214735 – Horse disappears when dying while riding it and reloading the world while it’s unloaded
- MC-214838 – Big dripleaf stem remains after breaking a stem or leaf above it
- MC-214865 – Floating islands world type generates extreme terrain
- MC-219155 – Fishing line only starts on half distance between the fishing rod and bobber (Apple M1 only)
- MC-219840 – You cannot unlock the recipe for Mossy Stone Bricks
- MC-219842 – Recipes for mossy cobblestone and mossy stone bricks aren’t grouped
- MC-220033 – (Parity issue) Hanging Roots can’t be waterlogged
- MC-221560 – Copper/Coal Ore in Deepslate Patches aren’t Deepslate Ores
- MC-222008 – Empty/missing template pool error grammar mistake
- MC-222520 – Raw and Ore smelting previews aren’t grouped together
- MC-223055 – Amethyst buds and cluster have an unused blockstate
- MC-223792 – Shrinking world border with center past x/z 29999983 crashes the game
How to Install Snapshot 21w17a
Snapshots are now available for Minecraft: Java Edition!
To install, simply open the Minecraft Launcher, navigate to the installations tab and click enable snapshots.
Warning: Snapshots may corrupt your world so be sure to back up before installing!