Since its release in September 2020, Genshin Impact has taken the gaming world by storm.
Gneshin Impact has already become a top 50 highest grossing mobile game of all time, generating millions of dollars every day.
Is Genshin Impact Multiplayer?
Genshin Impact has been likened to games such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but one aspect that sets it apart is that the game is multiplayer.
The game can be played co-op with up to 4 players, working together to defeat monsters and progress through the game.
Genshin Impact is also fully cross platform, allowing players on PC, PS4, PS5, iOS, and Android being able to play together, as long as they are playing on the same region.
In order to play multiplayer, players need to be at least Adventurer level 16, so if you're not quite there yet then you best get grinding so you can play with your friends.
Despite being multiplayer, there are still some things that you can't do while in co-op mode.
- Co-Op Mode is only accessible to players that are Adventure Rank 16+.
- Cross-play between the PC, Mobile (iOS and Android), and PS4 platforms is possible if both players are on the same regional server (America, EU, or Asia).
- If two players co-op together, each of them can choose two characters for the party and swap between them in combat like they can in solo. If three players co-op together the host gets two characters, while the others get one. With four players in co-op, each player gets one character to use in battle.
- Players are still able to change the current character you have in the party in co-op when out of combat via the menu.
- Players cannot join another player's world if the world level they are joining is higher than their own, or if a story or Archon quest (or any quest that manipulates the world) is currently in progress.
- If a quest is currently manipulating a host, and the host just finished, it will take a bit of time before they can be joined. The host logging out and back in should speed up the process.
Activities That Can Be Done In Co-Op
Here are a list of activities that can be done while in co-op mode.
- Abyssal Domains and Ley Line Outcrops
- Commissions (daily quests, excluding the ability to pick up the daily bonus from completing all four commissions)
- World quests (such as a Random Event or Nine Pillars of Peace)
- Hunt monsters and bosses in the open world (can't Co-Op for Stormterror).
- Collect Resources
- Weekly Bounties (only the host can access their reputation)
- Switch characters from the party select with your allocated slots.
- Be healed at the Statue of the Seven and Resonate with it for the traveler to change their element
- Earn Achievements
- See your own individual map bookmarks
- Complete Open World mechanism-activated Time Trial Challenges (host must start them)
- Make use of Elemental Resonance even with characters from another party (e.g. if one player has a Pyro character in their party and another player has a Pyro character in their party, both players will have Fervent Flame attack buff active).
Activities That Can't Be Done In Co-Op
Here are a list of activities that can't be done while in co-op mode.
- Open Host's chests nor pickup Geo Sigils
- Pick up Host's Oculi
- Use a Treasure Compass as a guest
- Initiate events (such as Seelie movement and Oceanid spawn, unlocking domain doors)
- Story Quests (these quests are temporarily paused. They can be continued once Travelers leave Co-Op Mode.)
- Spiral Abyss
- Adjust the time of day
- Make offerings to the Statue of The Seven nor set the amount to be healed, however you can be healed
- Talk to a majority of NPCs, inclusive of Katheryne, Shops usage, Crafting and Forging, activating a new Statue of The Seven and activating a fake vegetable slime ambush, however you can cook
- Have the game paused while on the menu screen, even in a co-op room left with only yourself.
- Gain the other player party character's passive abilities (for example, Razor's sprint stamina passive and Ningguang's mining outcrop spotting passive will not apply for the other player)
Thank you to the Genshin Impact Wiki for the information.