Cyberpunk 2077 is without a doubt the most highly anticipated game of 2020.
It has been in development for 8 years and was finally released yesterday to instant critical acclaim, despite many glitches and issues.
The Biggest Launch In PC History
Cyberpunk 2077 has become the biggest launch in PC history.
It became the first single player game to have over 1 million concurrent players on both day 1 and overall.
Cyberpunk 2077 also smashed the record for most pre-orders/day one sales, flying straight passed the previous record holder.
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands sold 3.7 million pre-order/day one copies and only set the record a few weeks ago.
Cyberpunk 2077 Launch
Cyberpunk 2077 sold a massive 8 million pre-orders, more than double of World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.
Of those 8 million, 59% (4.72 million) were on PC, while the remaining 41% (3.28 million) were on console, split between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game.
The success of Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely down to the incredible relationship that CD Projekt Red has built with its audience with The Witcher 3.
CD Projekt Red was always known as a good studio, with The Witcher series always being popular.
But their latest entry in the series took the studio to new heights, making it one of the premiere studios in the world.
The success of The Witcher 3 also spawned the popular The Witcher series on Netflix.
Despite many issues with the game, it scored a 90/100 on Metacritic.
But this isn't the end for Cyberpunk 2077, CD Projekt Red have stated they will be supporting the game through various pieces of free and paid DLC through to the end of 2022.
The game didn't launch on the recently released PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, those ports will be coming sometime during 2021, however the last gen versions are playable on the new consoles with slight performance upgrades.
Players who own either the PS4 or Xbox One version will get the next gen upgrade for free when it is released.
Cyberpunk 2077 will also get a multiplayer mode at some point, but the release date for that is unspecified but likely towards the end of 2021/early 2022.