Sledgehammer Games' Call of Duty game is almost here - however, Treyarch is at the helm of Vanguard's Zombies mode and there's a lot of new stuff to look out for. Here's everything you need to know about Der Anfang, the Altars of the Covenants, and everything else.
Pre-Order NOW: Call of Duty Vanguard At Amazon
VANGUARD ZOMBIES - Everything that's new
Treyarch is doing things a little differently this time around and we're going to run through everything you need to know about all the new content and updates made to existing systems in Zombies...
New Map - Der Anfang
This one might seem a little obvious, but Vanguard's Zombies is getting a new map to kick off the next iteration of Call of Duty Zombies! Der Anfang is set largely on an undead version of Red Star - but will take us to other locations like Shi No Numa and Hotel Royal in an experience like no other.
Expect this to be a combination of Outbreak and traditional round-based Zombies modes that should help to keep things fresh going forwards.
New Pack-a-Punch Mechanics
The Pack-a-Punch machine is back, but there's a small tweak to how it works. Weapon rarity is tied to Pack-a-Punch tiers now. This means weapons will be classified by the following:
- White Weapon - Unpacked
- Blue Weapon - Pack a Punch Tier 1
- Purple Weapon - Pack a Punch Tier 2
- Orange Weapon - Pack a Punch Tier 3
The initial Pack-a-Punch price is being upped to 7,500 Essence - however, the other two tiers remain the same price and should offer enough of an upgrade to keep you fighting late into the game.
New Perk Tier Upgrades System
The way Perks work is changing too - it's time to say goodbye to Perk-A-Cola machines for now. There's going to be a selection of Perks at launch that can be upgraded in-game, rather than before a game like in Cold War Zombies.
You will need to fork out a little bit for each upgrade - which will increase the base effectiveness of the Perk - and you'll lose a Tier on each perk when downed. The Base Tier of each Perk is free, though, so drink up while you can!
The Perk Tier upgrade prices are as follows:
- Tier 1 is free
- Tier 2 is 2,500 Essence
- Tier 3 is 5,000 Essence
- Tier 4 is 7,500 Essence
At launch, the following Perks will be available:
- Aetherial Haste -"Increases Speed"
- Venomous Vigor - "Increases Regen Speed"
- Diabolical Danger - "Increases Critical Damage"
- Fiendish Fortitude - "Increases Health
- Demonic Frenzy - "Boost reload speed"
New Altars of the Covenants Upgrades
To top it all off, there's another new way to get additional upgrades and abilities in Der Anfang and Vanguard Zombies - the Altars of the Covenants.
These upgrades are somewhat similar to Perks, however, you can only have three equipped at a time and you'll need to trade in a Sacrificial Heart for one. The following Covenants are available at launch:
- Bloodlust - Melee attacks do more damage and heal you
- Resurrectionist - Revive allies faster
- Brain Rot - Chance to turn enemies to your side
- Cryfreeze - Chance to slow enemies
- Death Blow - Critical kills return bullets to the clip
- Ammo Gremlin - Stowed weapons refill ammo from the stock automatically
- Dead Accurate - Consecutive hits on the same enemy do more damage
- Splatterfest - Enemies killed by explosions may explode
- Unholy Ground - Deal more damage while stationary
- Cull the Weak - Deal more damage to slowed or stunned enemies
- Motherlode - Chance to keep equipment after using it
Expect to see more new Covenants added to Vanguard throughout the next few months - who knows what else we might see!