The newest Black Ops Cold War update is live and Season 4 has begun! Here's everything you need to know about Treyarch's newest Call of Duty season and what's on the way!
LATEST - Season 4 Content Overview
As always, there's quite a lot of new content coming to Black Ops Cold War over the next couple of weeks. Here's everything you need to know about what's on the way.
- New Multiplayer Maps
- Collateral, Collateral Strike, Amsterdam, and Hijacked are all coming to Black Ops Cold War;
- Rush has been confirmed as a new mid-season map;
- New Weapons
- The MG 82, C58, and Nail Gun have been added to Black Ops Cold War;
- The Mace and OTs 9 SMG are both going to be added in-season;
- New Game Modes
- Fireteam Sat-Link and One in the Chamber have both been added;
- Capture The Flag is going to be added in-season;
- New Scorestreak
- The Hand Cannon is back in Black Ops;
- New Operators
- Jackal has been added, Salah is due to arrive soon;
- Grigori Weaver is also due to make an appearance mid-season;
- New Zombies Content
- "Zoo" is being added as a new Outbreak Region;
- Operation Excision is being added as a new Main Quest;
- Mauer der Toten is due to arrive in July 2021 as a new round-based Zombies map;
Season 4 Patch Notes Overview
Treyarch has a habit of leaving it late to update everyone with their latest Patch Notes and Black Ops Cold War Season 4 isn't changing that. We're just under a day away from the start of the next season and we've got everything you need to know about the new Patch Notes.
Below, we've got some of the highlights for you to look over... There's a lot of changes, as you can imagine.
- 100 new Battle Pass tiers including the MG 82 LMG and C58 assault rifle
- Five total new weapons throughout the season
- “Ground Fall” launch week limited-time event
- Four new Prestige Levels (16-19)
- New Prestige Shop content
- New Weapon Unlock Challenges
- New Gifting feature
- New Challenge tracker
- New lobby theming
- + More in-season
- New 6v6 maps: Collateral Strike (6v6), Hijacked (6v6)
- New Combined Arms map: Collateral (12v12)
- New Gunfight + Face Off map: Amsterdam (2v2, 3v3)
- New MP modes: One in the Chamber, Multi-Team: Sat-Link, Hardcore Hardpoint
- New Featured Playlists: Hijacked 24/7, Cranked Hardpoint
- New Scorestreak: Hand Cannon
- 20 New Multiplayer Season Challenges
- + More in-season, including Rush (6v6) and Capture the Flag
- Skill Division adjustments
- LC10 and AK-47 now restricted
- + More in-season, including League Play rewards
- New Outbreak Region: Zoo
- New Outbreak Main Quest: Operation Excision
- New Dark Aether story Intel
- Additional Zombies tracks to unlock for the Music Player
- New Operator Missions in Zombies
- New Onslaught Map (PlayStation®): Collateral
- 20 New Zombies Season Challenges
- + More in-season, including the upcoming “Mauer der Toten” round-based map
Season 4 Release Date & Time
The next season of Black Ops Cold War content is coming out on June 17th. At the moment, we can also make an educated guess at what time the update is going to release. We don't have any confirmation about the release time, though, so take the following with a grain of salt.
Looking at previous seasons, we could see the new content go live as soon as 21:00 PST (June 15th) / 00:00 EST (June 16th) / 05:00 BST (June 16th). Following this, the start-of-season event should begin at around 21:00 PST (June 16th) / 00:00 EST / 05:00 BST on June 17th.
We should hear more about the specifics from Treyarch soon, though, to confirm this.
How Big Is The Download Going To Be?
Following on from this, we also know how much space you're going to need for the next season. If you're playing Black Ops Cold War on PC, you'll need to keep around 90 GB of additional space clear for the "patch copying process". There isn't any word on whether you'll need additional space for console downloads, though.
- PlayStation 5: 30 GB
- PlayStation 4: 15.5 GB
- Xbox Series X / Xbox Series S: 31.0 GB
- Xbox One: 17.7 GB
- PC: 21.6 GB (without HD Pack) / 30.7 GB (with HD Pack)
As you can see, the download is quite a bit bigger on next-gen consoles. This one is going to be painful for PS5 players.
Not sure why you might need the extra space? You can find out more about the copying process used by Call of Duty titles here.
Three New Operators Are Coming
Jackal - Warsaw Pact
" A brutal mercenary leader, Jackal has ground his competition into the dirt, recruiting only the strongest survivors into his company. Hated and feared, he works for the highest bidder, and Perseus has very deep pockets..."
Jackal will be available at Tier 0 in the Season 4 Battle Pass, with an Ultra-Rarity Skin available at Tier 100.
Salah - NATO
" A member of Egypt’s elite Unit 777 formed following the expulsion of the Soviets, Salah is a Counterterrorism and Hostage Rescue expert. Always positive and quick to see the best in people, he will always have your back."
Salah will be available in-season via Item Store Operator Bundle.
Weaver - NATO
" Born in the USSR and raised in America, CIA Clandestine Service Officer Grigori Weaver straddles both sides of the Cold War divide. With this Operator Skin based on his original Black Ops incarnation, Weaver’s dedication compels him to return to duty even after the recent loss of his left eye."
Weaver is going to be available in-season via Item Store Operator Bundle.
There's Also Five New Weapons
Treyarch isn't slowing down just yet. There's going to be several new weapons coming to Black Ops Cold War throughout the first half of Season 4. Here's the latest on what we know so far...
MG 82 - LMG
" Full-auto light machine gun. Highest fire rate in class with improved aiming speed. Moderate recoil and damage with increased ammo capacity."
This will be available for free at Tier 15 of the Season 4 Battle Pass.
C58 - AR
" Full-auto assault rifle. High damage at close range with a slower fire rate. Fast bullet velocity and reliable recoil control with less ammo capacity."
This weapon is going to be free at Tier 31 of the Season 4 Battle Pass.
Nail Gun - Special (BOCW) / SMG (WZ)
" This slow-firing, highly mobile power tool uses compressed air to launch fast-moving projectiles that deal high damage at close range."
This is going to be available at the start of Season 4 via in-game Challenge or Weapon Blueprint Bundle.
OTs 9 - SMG
" Boasting great stopping power and a phenomenal rate of fire, the OTs 9 is hindered only by its low magazine capacity of 20 rounds."
This is going to be available at some point during Season 4 via in-game Challenge or Weapon Blueprint Bundle.
Mace - Melee
" A weapon ill fit for the weak, Mace can inflict critical damage on command — no dice rolls needed on whether it can bludgeon your rivals in a single blow within Multiplayer."
This Melee Weapon is going to be available mid-Season 4 via in-game Challenge or Weapon Blueprint Bundle.
New Multiplayer Maps
What's a new Black Ops Cold War season without new maps, right? Here's the latest on them...
Collateral (12v12) and Collateral Strike (6v6)
" Collateral places NATO and Warsaw Pact forces under the scorching desert sun in Algeria, where a CIA satellite has crashed into an abandoned village, the very same location that Adler and company secured on June 27, 1984."
This map is due to be added to the relevant Multiplayer Playlists at the start of Season 4.
Amsterdam (2v2) and (3v3)
" Fight clean or dirty across Amsterdam’s rooftops, featured prominently in the Black Ops Cold War Campaign curtain-raiser mission “Nowhere Left to Run.”"
This smaller map is going to be added to Black Ops Cold War at the start of Season 4.
" A beloved 6v6 map first appearing in Black Ops II, Hijacked takes place on a commandeered superyacht deep in international waters. Fighting occurs on all decks of this vessel from bow to stern, including the boiler room and a centre area complete with a hot tub."
This will be added to Black Ops Cold War at the launch of Season 4.
"This chaotic arena offers multiple opportunities for up-close-and-personal combat, with narrow choke zones to scurry through and a scattering of exterior structures offering longer-range takedown possibilities."
Rush will arrive throughout the season. We have no timeline on when it is due to be added at the moment.
Zombies Content Is Coming...
It's feeding time in Outbreak. Zoo is the newest Outbreak region to be added to Black Ops Cold War's new Zombies mode. There's also going to be new intel available on this map and a new "Operation Excision" Main Quest in Outbreak to act as a precursor to the new Round-Based Map that's coming...
Mauer der Toten is coming mid-season and it's going to be a good one.
" Taking place after the events of “Operation Excision” in Outbreak, the Dark Aether story will continue in Treyarch’s next Zombies map, where players will take on new terrors in war-torn East Berlin after a devastating zombie invasion has overtaken the city."
We're going to hear more about this round-based map closer to launch.
Additional Game Modes & More
That's not even it! There's still so much to unpack about what's coming to Black Ops Cold War in Season 4. Here's everything else you need to know in a quick-fire list.
- New Game Mode - Sat-Link (Multi-Team)
- " Upon reaching the Sat-Link marked on your map, your squad will power it up. It will then unfold and start uploading crucial data to the satellites still in orbit. Before you reach a site, search for item crates that may contain powerful Scorestreaks or other items to help you wipe other squads also tasked with transferring classified intel."
- New Game Mode - One In The Chamber
- " First introduced in the original Black Ops, One in the Chamber gives you three lives and a single, incredibly lethal bullet. If that one shot lands anywhere on an enemy, they will lose a life while you gain another bullet. Melee attacks are also lethal, so be prepared for some serious fisticuffs if you and your enemy both lose your golden bullet."
- New Game Mode - Capture The Flag (In-Season)
- " An objective mode whose roots stem from the very first Call of Duty Multiplayer experience, Capture the Flag (CTF) is a competitive game where squads must take the enemy’s flag and return it to their home base, while also defending theirs from the enemy team."
- New Scorestreak - Hand Cannon
- " A semiautomatic handgun chambered in a ridiculously high-calibre round, the Hand Cannon delivers lethal damage to anywhere on the body, as the sheer kinetic impact incapacitates any Operator at a minimum, or blows them to smithereens with a well-placed shot."