Here's everything you need to know about how you can turn Overwatch Crossplay on and game with Heroes on all platforms going forwards.
How To Enable Crossplay On Overwatch
There's only really one thing you need to do in order to enable Crossplay on Overwatch. All you need to do is create and/or link a Battle Net account to your relevant platform. If you play on PC, Crossplay features will already be enabled when the update goes live.
As for consoles, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- Visit Battle.net
- Create a free Battle.net account
- Once you create your Battle.net account, go to your Account Settings
- Click on the “Connections” section under Account Settings and link your console
If you play on console, you might also need to follow these steps in-game...
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at blizzard.com/link
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies you that your account is now successfully connected
Cross-Progression & Competitive Playlists
Thankfully, Blizzard hasn't enabled Crossplay features for Competitive playlists. If you're planning on playing Comp on PC, you'll be matched up with PC players. If you're on console, then you'll be pooled with console players.
" Cross-play is enabled for all game modes with an exception for Competitive games. Competitive players will be split into two pools depending on the system that they are playing on: 1) Console players, and 2) PC players. For balance purposes, PC players and console players will not be mixed in the same pool for competitive matches."
As for cross-progression, this sadly isn't going to arrive. You'll get a free Golden Loot Box on every platform you play on, but there won't be any cross-progression. It's an unusual omission, but here's what Blizzard had to say in their FAQ's...
" While cross-play will allow you to group up with friends using other systems, no progress and collection content will carry over between sessions on different systems."
You can opt-out of Crossplay features in the settings menu, but you will still need a Battle Net account on console versions of Overwatch going forwards.